Recipes: Loaves and Fishes
January 31, 2024
The plan for January 31st Loaves and Fishes meal-
Fifteen (15) Baked Ziti (9x13 pan)
Seven (7) Number 10 cans of green beans
15 bags of tangerines
a big can of coffee
a big container of powdered lemonade
dessert will be cookies from Little Bethlehem
We need two people to work together as couriers to bring food from the Fairview Kitchen to the Loaves and Fishes Kitchen - ensuring the food arrives at 3 PM to be heated in the Loaves and Fishes Kitchen.
To help set up and heat the food arrive at 3 PM.
To help with serving food arrive at 3:45 PM.
To help with clean up arrive by 5 PM.
Mark will get the key and open the kitchen at 3 PM.
Feel free to use your own baked ziti recipe. Please use ground beef so there is consistency for preference/allergies.
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more as needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 11 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
- 16 ounces dry ziti or penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 F. Lightly butter a 9x13 baking dish. Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil.
- Drizzle the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef and onion. Cook, stirring often, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are tender.
- Drain off the excess fat. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- While the meat is simmering, cook the ziti/penne in the boiling salted water until just al dente- usually the cooking time on the package minus 2 minutes. The pasta needs to still have some bite as it will continue cooking in the oven. Set aside. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot with the meat mixture and half of the mozzarella. Stir to combine
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining half of the mozzarella cheese.
- If delivering your food hot - Bake the ziti until the cheese melts and begins to bubble and brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
If delivering your food cold for others to heat- stop at step 6. Wrap in plastic wrap or put on lid. Label your baking dish so we can get it back to you.